What is the objective of the exercise?
This exercise aims to strengthen self-confidence. The task allows participants to be more confident, to discuss what the self-confidence is, to clarify if the self- confidence is good or not.
What is the method to be used?
The line which divides the room into two halves is drawn on the floor (or sealed with adhesive tape, a rope or thread is put on). One half of the room is the “yes” part, the other one is the “No” part. The trainer invites participants to express their views. The trainer will read the statements and each participant has to stand in that part of the room, which coincides with his opinion, i.e. in “Yes” or “No” part.
The trainer reads the following statements:
• People who are self-confident are always proud and conceited.
• Bragging is not good.
• People who know how to brag themself, are self-confident.
• Kind, intelligent people are always self-confident.
• Each of us is characterized by our achievements in life.
• Each of us describe what we achieve in life.
• If you do not trust yourself, you can change it.
• Self-confident people easily find words of praise for other people.
Later on the participants discuss:
• What exactly self-confidence is.
• Why self-confidence is important. Can the participants provide practical examples from their life, when self-confidence is helpful?
• Why self-doubt is troublesome?
• In what situations we are more self-confident, and in what situations we are less confident.
• Who strengthens our self-confidence?
After the discussion the trainer asks the participants to sit in pairs and discuss together characteristics of self-confidence and self-doubt. Participants in couples write their ideas on paper. Later on participants present their work and discuss it together with others:
• How do the participants behave and how do they feel when they are self-confident?
•How do the participants behave and feel when they are not self-confident?
• What can we do to be more self-confident?
The trainer sums up by saying that to be self-confident and think positively about yourself is very cool, because it helps to achieve your goals in life, to disclose your abilities, strengths, feel good about yourself. It is important not only think positively about yourself, but also be able to tell the people around you about our positive thoughts.
What are the materials needed?
Scotch, rope or other materials, which help to divide the room into two parts.
Sheets of paper, pens.
Board for making notes of discussion.
Tips for the trainers/additional information
The topic is very broad, so the trainers may agree to do all the exercise or just part of it. It is important to discuss with participants what self- confidence is and how it can be strengthened. The trainers can select the statements or create their own statements according to abilities of participants. The trainers can choose questions for discussion. Opinions and conclusions can be written on magnetic board during discussions.